So the past two years here in Winter Park, CO have seen their fair
share of ups and downs, hair raising experiences and, well stupid
moments. This chapter is now closing and my road to a new life begins
tomorrow when I move to Gunnison, CO for this upcoming school year. I
feel I would be doing a disservice to my expeirences if I did not share
what I have learned over the last two winters:
1. No matter how much the boarder/skier feud goes on, I still love them both.
2. Even when there is no snow, there is a place to make turns.
3. Skiing/Riding sober is more fun than being messed up.
4. Just becasue I love a mountain and the town, corporations ruin them.
5. Saying good bye sucks, but it must be said so you can move on.
6. No beep, no jeep. Wear your avalanche gear, if you don't have any, don't go skinning up.
7. If you need too, ask for help. Most people love being able to help somebody else.
8. Karma is a bitch. If you see a hitch hiking skier/boarder/long boarder, pick them up.
This list could go on for days, but we don't have that kind of time. Over this winter, we will be tackling the following peaks:
14,309 Uncompahgre Peak
14,246 Mt. Wilson
14,159 El Diente Peak
14,150 Mt. Sneffels
14,083 Mt. Eolus
14,082 Windom Peak
14,059 Sunlight Peak
14,048 Handies Peak
14,039 North Eolus
14,034 Redcloud Peak
14,017 Wilson Peak
14,015 Wetterhorn Peak
14,014 San Luis Peak
14,001 Sunshine Peak
Once the San Juans are completed, we will move into the Sangre de Cristo's followed by the Elk's. We are hoping to have an exploration nearly every weekend as long as the conditions are in line(visability, snow, avalanche, temperature etc.) By the end of the season we are hoping to have nearly 30 14ers in the books.
One of the most resourceful guides that I have found to help us plan this endevor is www.14ers.com On this site I have found everything from trail status updates to route descriptions, camping to trip reports. This site has made the initial planning phase the easiest it has ever been for me.
On my gear, I have to give a great big thank you to several companies who have show nothing but support in getting this going:
Back Country Access: Their support in making sure my team has the right avalanche safety gear has been unprecidented. Everything from the Tracker DTS beacon (my personal preferance), to the magic carpet skins that I love so much have made the world of difference. New for this year we will be rocking the Float 32 airbag system. If you have not seen what these things can do, watch this video:
http://youtu.be/h7QFRXc0R8M
http://backcountryaccess.com/
Fat-yPus Skis: Trying to keep as much local as possible, Fat-yPus is based out of Breckenridge, CO. The originator of the super fat ski, the A-Lotta, I will be using these for pretty much every mission this year. I love the early rise with a sidecut that still grabs onto crud. Add that with being hand crafted in Denver at the Never Summer factory, you get one of the best skis made. Check them out at http://www.fat-ypus.com
FlyLow: One of the best outerwear companies around. Based in the front range of Colorado, these guys make some bomber gear. With the ski mountaineering mind, they have taken the durability and manuerverability of a mountaineering company and added to the downhill comfort and protection of your standard outerwear company. What you are left with is some of the best earn-your-turn gear ever made. Though I am not sponsored or supported, I will endorse their outwear till the very end.
http://flylowgear.com/
We are still currently looking for assistance with climbing gear, arctic camping gear, sleds and food supplies. If you would like to take part in this adventure with us, please let me know as we are always looking for assistance. We will be writing about all of the gear that is being used and tested and are willing to try out new gear for any company looking for some field testing.
Again, as we all embark on the quest to explore the wild, I would like to thank everybody who has supported me in the past in following my dreams and to all those who are getting involved with this really cool mission. As the season nears, I will be posting up more when summits are reached, faces are skied and gear is tested, broken, destroyed(pushed to its limits.)
May your winter be filled with wonder and your landings be in powder.
Jordan Schwartz
No comments:
Post a Comment