Sunday, December 2, 2012

WHICH GEAR IS RIGHT FOR YOU: THE SALESMANS PERSPECTIVE

Working in a ski shop, I am asked almost daily about pro's and con's between different gear. While companies make different gear they all essentially make similar equipment that is comparable to other companies. The biggest difference is what the salesman thinks is better and what the salesman wants the buyer to purchase.

All this being said, the question is, what is the influence on the salesman? Is it profit motivated for the store? Is it what the company has done for the individual? Is it what is the best cost/quality/performance for the customer? What is the deciding factor?!

As a salesman, I know where my motivation comes from. When there are two items side by side, I look at 1. What is best for the customer, 2. What will profit the store most, and 3. Which company has taken care of me the most. I know that #3 is a rather selfish reason, however, in the competitive world of ski gear, I think that companies need to realize, with many options to choose from, the best way to get your gear moving is to work with the salesman.

How can I as a salesman make informed conversation if I have never used it? How can I push a customer in one direction, when it is a bit more expensive and offers similar benefits? The trick to moving your products is to get the salesman on your side and your products will move.

I know that this is a bit of a rant, but, here is insight from the salesman's perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment