Saturday, August 18, 2012

ICEY OPEN REVIEW!!!!



Today was the day of the 2nd annual Icelantic Icey Open. An opportunity to meet the Icelantic team, riders, fans and partners was an occasion not to be missed. This event brought people from all parts of the state and the country together to take part in, what one would call anything but short of a memorable experience.

Several weeks ago I received and e-mail from Annelise Loevlie to inform me of the event. Never one to turn down the opportunity to win some amazing gear or to pass up a great time, I quickly wrote to Sam, the Icelantic Organizer, to let him know that I wanted to play, but was only a single. Without hesitation he assured me that I would have a team to play on, possibly with Nadia Kaliszewski. She is gorgeous and I felt that I was going to have a great day with this!!!

I awoke at 5:45am as usual, grabbed a shower, got some food down my gullet and proceeded on the drive from my fathers place in Denver where I was staying for the weekend up I-70 to Evergreen. I always love driving in the mountains and early morning is the best. I got to the course at about 7:15 and many people still were not there for the 8am shotgun start. Oh well, grab my cart, get ready to go.

As I began to look over the pairings sheet for my name and my team, I quickly realized that if I was on there, it was not with Nadia! The only Jordan listed on the sheet was with Ben, Julian and Scotty! All I could say to myself was "I hope this is the group I think it is!!!" I loaded my clubs onto my cart and waited. 7:40 I am still the only one on my groups cart, still waiting. 8am, there they are sauntering in with a look of exhaustion and bewilderment on their faces.



As everything worked out, I was playing with Ben Anderson, the founder of Icelantic, Julian Carr, Discreet Headwear Owner/Founder and professional bad-ass skier (see him on the front of Warren Millers new movie "Flow State"), and the legend of Scotty Vermeris, Icelantic Team Manager/Professional Skier. Wow was this a way to start the day.

As we headed to hole 16, Ben and I had caught up as I hadn't seen him since the September '11 First Friday party. Having grown up with Ben, it was great to catch up on how everybody in family was and how the winter was...... before the shit show began.

Coming into the event, the only intentions I had were to win a few hole prizes and to have a great day, this happened and more! The first hole prize was on a short, miniature golf style par 3. Sponsored by Electric for a new pair of sunglasses, I went after it. A short chopped pitching wedge landed on the green about 2" from the hole. In honor of McConkey, knowing that it was an amazing shot gear was shed as my celebration proceeded. Lucky for me, the prize was a new pair of sunglasses because mine broke in the exuberant celebration.

The other hole prize was on a long drive, a contest that I knew I could win. Taking aim, a beautiful draw ended up about 340 yards down the fairway. Sponsored by Oskar Blues Brewery, a 12 pack a month for a year was won. This was donated to my friend Ben Anderson seeing as how I am not a beer drinker (not an alcohol drinker for that matter.)

The rest of the day was one piece of mayhem after another. Forging great friendships and rekindling old ones was the name of the day. From the team skiers and employee's to the incredible First Tracks members, the group of people was second to none.

The champions, out of the full field of 36 teams (a completely sold out event), was the crew from Something Independant. A company that helps to show new and established companies new and innovative ways for companies to reach out to the communities and place there marketing infront of the right people, fired an amazing 53, 16 under par.

This was probably the greatest day on a golf course that I ever had. I would like to thank the entire staff at Icelantic for an amazing event and their interns for working so hard. I am excited to see what this event turns out to be in the future. This will be a must play event here in the future for me and I suggest everybody join the First Tracks crew this next season, YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.

For information on Icelantic, visit them at: http://www.icelanticboards.com/
For information on First Tracks see this site: http://icelanticboards.com/firsttracks2011/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment