Last night was the premier for Matchstick Productions (MSP), Superhero's of Stoke in Crested Butte. I have been to a few premiers of the past few years and this one, in my opinion, was a little wishy washy. The overall vibe of the show was intense with people cheering at some amazing footage, while cringing and gasping at some of the amazing falls that were taken. The energy was high the whole movie and nobody left dissapointed.
All of that being said, I was slightly let down by the movie. From seeing the trailers and reading the reviews, the level of correlation between the old and the new, the pioneers and the prodigy's, I felt, was a little too sporadic. With a lot of monologues and reminiscing on the past, there was not a lot of "then and now" footage. I would have loved to see some line comparisons beginning with the old and fading to the new.
All of that being said, Hoji's closing segment was amazing. Recovering from injury, he decided to take an "EASY" day. I true Hoji form, after reviewing camera footage that he had take, reviewing every line, we watched him dissect a mountain, piece by piece, drop by drop and line by line. The area's that he skied, most people would look and dismiss as "No f'n way." Well, he did it, and all in 2 days. It is no wonder why Dynafit just signed him on long term, knowing that he has nothing but great things to offer the world through his skiing.
There is so much more to be said about this film that, at this time, I just do not have the energy to type. I definitely am going to rank this as a must see, however, I can't recommend seeing it twice.
-JS
No comments:
Post a Comment