Today started out like any other (yeah right!) Waking up at 5:00 am, Alex Jenks and I took off for Dillon, CO and Arapahoe Basin. Though hesitant to use the new gear, I decided that it had to be tested. We arrived in the parking lot around 8:30 and proceeded to get ready for the fun day ahead.
Grabbing out lift tickets and clicking into our skis, we got in what would be the shortest lift line of the day. After a couple minutes, we boarded the Black Mountain Express and our stoke level rose as we slowly ascended the mountain. It was on this first lift ride that the questions began about my gear. What an amazing feeling to spread the good word of some amazing gear.
With every lift line getting longer, questions became more and more abound. The most notable questions came from inquires about the magical fanny pack that I was wearing. Next in the line of questioning were the new skis followed closely by the boots. My outwear was so well known that most people simply said they liked some of the new functions. Nobody asked about the great poles I was using, but these were the most impressive piece that I had.
THE REVIEWS:
Klint Krypto 187cm: These skis are not your average set up. While I am used to the easy turn and let the ski do the work set up, these were anything but. After a couple runs figuring them out. It amazed me that the faster I go, the harder I push, the better they handled. In early season, man made groomed snow, these things killed it. They carved the groomed crap as though it were some of the best snow ever.
All this being said, the multi-radius sidecut was pretty adaptable to an aggressive style, however, if you laid off and simply made an easy turn on the crud, it felt as though the powder radius in the tip/tail would grab and pull you off balance. These were not made to cruise, they are a kill it, all or nothing only ski.
Jammy Pack Perp:
This was a lot of fun. With a battery that lasted the whole day on the mountain, sound that could be heard from 20+ yards away, and one of the best features about the whole package, I could not feel it the whole day while skiing. Without having headphones on, I was able to not only converse with everybody around me, but be completely aware of my surroundings.
The reaction of probably 90% of the people who I spoke with was that they loved the idea and the concept. The remaining 10% appeared to be those who were slightly annoyed by the music and as soon as I turned it down they began yelling an whooping and hollering as much as possible. That being said, that 10% is pretty pointless to me.
First Degree Storm Trooper 2:
Today I played with every possible cuff angle and fell in love. These boots are about the most versatile item that I have ever used. The buckling system mixed with the stock Booster Strap, they have made a boot that not only conforms well to your foot right out of the box, but can be used for any scenario from backcountry hikes to lift served alpine and everything in between.
My only complaint with these boots is that being the first day that I have used them, I have found some hotspots which I hope to have solved with a good heat mold and, if necessary, a few minor alterations. Once I have them formed I hope to give them a more accurate review.
Flylow Outerwear:
King Hoodie: Though a season or two old, this was a great starter with it being about 25 degrees outside, though, within 2 laps, it was too warm even with the arm vents open. After lap 3, I went and switched it out.
Clyde Softshell Hoodie:
Perfect weight for early season and I can tell it will be amazing for the spring. Layer this in the winter on any backcountry trip and you will not be disappointed. This is one hell of a hoodie. Also able to be worn on the town this is one of the best soft shells that I have ever owned.
Stash Pant:
Starting the day today, it was a little chilly so I decided on these with no layers. All vents closed, this kept the wind out and the heat in perfectly. I am amazed at the ability of these to keep the heat in. As the day progressed, I developed a slight swamp problem in the pants and decided to try the Cross-flow Ventilation system. Almost instantly I was cool and comfortable. The ventilation in these pants is amazing, and if the Baker Bibs follow suit, I will most certainly be about as comfortable as a person can be in the Colorado Wilderness during the middle of winter.
AND THE DARK HORSE OF THE WHOLE DAY!!!!
Sick Stickz Hunter-T:
I am always skeptical about collapsible poles and these are the tits! Having the feel of a one piece pole with adjustability from 110cm to 135cm, these were amazing. The foam grips and neoprene/nylon wrist wraps felt great in the tough guy glove. Their weight was unbelievable feeling almost as if there was nothing in the hand. I cannot speak well enough about these poles and if you have never seen them, go to www.sickstickz.com These are the future of ski poles and it will take an act of god to make me ever use anything else.
I hope that this gives everybody a good base to go on in the pre-season shopping and brief idea of what the gear reviews will look like in the future as I am able to put the gear through a bit more rigorous testing.
Thanks for reading, and remember, PRAY FOR POW!
-JS

No comments:
Post a Comment