Tuesday, October 9, 2012

DIE DOING WHAT YOU LOVE!

Tonight the Western State of Colorado University Free Ride Ski Team had a basic avalanche awareness course put on by Jean Pavillard, the founder of AIARE. I have been to many of avalanche lectures over the past few years and this one had something that stood out. I was not degraded for enjoying to go into the back country alone.

Many people live by the philosophy of "No Bro, No Go." While I cannot deny that having a companion in travels is not only fun for getting to share it with somebody, but also 100% safer, there are many of days where I just want to be by myself, touring about in the wilderness.

It was obvious to me that Jean knew exactally why I love it, and he also understood. He emphasized that if people should tour alone, that you should let people know the most exact details as possible. This is something that I do, from leaving a note on my windshield to letting friends know when to expect me back to utilizing my spot so people can track me. Safety is a major influence in my back country travels as well as my life.

All this being said, traveling alone in the back country, and traveling in the back country itself has inherent risks. No matter how much you study the snow, the true snow pack can never be classified as truly stable. I understand that one day I will die. I understand that by traveling alone, I increase this risk in the back country. These are ideas which I have come to terms with, as, this is an activity I love.

I will always do everything in my power to mitigate these risks and do everything to come home as the goal of every mission is to return home safely and "live to ride another day." My objective for a day can always be altered and often times is; THE GOAL CANNOT!

With this rant being near over, I would like to say, that even with all of the planning and precaution, shit does happen. Should anything ever happen to me with my skis or my board strapped to my feet, I do not want any mourning to take place. Instead, celebrate, for I will have left doing what I love. Celebrate, because I have followed my dreams! Celebrate because, for the first time, in a long time, I am truly happy.

I do not wish anything to happen to myself or others, but, the reality of living, not just existing, is, I can.

Much love to all.

-JS

No comments:

Post a Comment